Tuesday, June 14, 2011

utah valley marathon recap

well i survived my first marathon. the race started out great, i felt good. my goal was to qualify for the boston marathon (you would have to keep an 8:24 pace for the whole 26.2 miles). up until mile 21 i was under pace, averaging an 8:17 per mile and then it happened. BAM! i ran right into the dreaded "wall". my puke started flyin' everywhere! basically the last five miles was adam encouraging me to keep going while i grandma shuffled to the finish leaving my insides along the course. sorry, that's gross. 
i'm so happy it's over! toward the end i vowed i would never put myself through that kind of pain and emotional roller coaster again. however, as the days go on and my legs are feeling less ripped to shreds, i'm slowly forgetting how much it hurt and planning my next marathon. i feel like i need to redeem myself!
my family was all there to cheer me on at the end. i'm smiling in the picture above but don't be deceived, i felt like death was upon me. oh, and did i mention that my husband decided at 8:30 pm the night before the race that he was going to run the whole marathon with me the next morning? he did. he ran the whole thing right next to me, cheering me on and wasn't even sore the next day. he's amazing, i love that man!

also worth mentioning, my cute mom ran the half marathon, her very first one ever! it was the day before she turned 51. she did great and is already planning her next one. also, my cute sister-in-law jen ran the marathon too, her second one and she's only 20 years old! she's awesome!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so awful and amazing! Congratulations, that is a huge accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

congrats! that's awesome you did a marathon! ...and aren't guys so lame that they can just do stuff like that? ha

Julianne said...

ahhh! you go girl! thats a huge accomplishment! and you look adorable while doing it, puking up insides and all!! muah!

Christina @ The Athletarian said...

First off, you look amazing and congrats on running an awesome race. You are going to be running another marathon in no time!

Your husband is ridiculous and I think I love him. That is soo nice of him to run with you. Who doesn't feel pain the next day? Is he some kind of superhero???

Congrats to you mom and sister in law as well! Holy family of awesomeness!

Cason and Marie said...

You inspire me!! Way to go beaut!! I am so proud of you. That's amazing!

Amy and Mark said...

Gosh, at least you look AMAZING even when feeling so awful! When we saw you I figured that's what happened since you're so quick! I hope my cheering you on didn't make you more ticked! You need to run St. George where there are people the whole last like 6 miles covering the sidewalks cheering you on. I don't know how people did it without cheerleaders on the side!!! You did awesome!!!

Danny and Brittney Welch said...

You are incredible!

michelle said...

Yeah!!!!!! Good job bum!!!! You are amazing!

Hayley Baum said...

you go girl! I'm envious! But not enough to sign myself up for one ;)

Brittny said...

You are amazing!!! Way to go!

Katie said...

Good job sis! I'm running the next one with you! A half version of course... I'm not one of those crazy people who think it's fun to run 26 miles... what freaks. . .
But seriously good job! Next time you'll make your goal and I'll be there to cheer you on as long as you don't puke all over me!

Zach & Lizzy said...

You are amazing Jess!!! You look amazing!! I miss running as cant wait to start up again after our little angel is born. Sure love and miss you :)

Camy and Jimmy said...

Jess, wow, i can't imagine how hard that was... I run every morning now and can almost make it 2 times around the track at the local park without stopping which will make a whole mile.. I'm pretty stoked for myself, which certainly shows how proud of you I am for running so far! Congrats Chica!